Saturday, May 22, 2010

Interleague Play

When I was about 10 and first found out that there would soon be interleague play in baseball, I was excited about seeing the Dodgers play teams that they would have previously only met in the World Series. I pictured scoreboards that featured the Dodgers and the Orioles, or the Dodgers and the Royals. The seemingly-bizzare images in my head were just like the one above. The Tigers? In Dodger Stadium? It was just that sort of a random American League team that the Dodgers never encounter, that I rarely even think about, that I was so intrigued to see the Dodgers play. Yes, it will be exciting in a couple of weeks when the Yankees ("boo...") are in town. And yeah, the "rivaly" developed by playing the Angels in two series a year has added some interest for SoCal baseball fans. But I see those teams on TV all the time already, so when I was 10, being the baseball geek I was, I was most looking forward to match-ups with teams that it would be really strange to see. Like the Detroit Tigers. So, it was pretty awesome on Friday night to see all those Old English D's, with Dodger Stadium in the backgound. I could muster my 10 year-old awe at seeing Dontrelle Willis, Miguel Cabrera, and Jim Leyland with "Detroit" across their jerseys, playing against my team.
As an aside, seeing the Tigers made me think of that Disney movie "Tiger Town" starring the guy from "Jaws". I liked that movie, too, around the time I was 10. The only thing I really remember from that movie is how in the first scene, where their trying to set up how pathetic the Tigers have become, they show the main character swing at a pitch that hits him in the back. That seemed really sad. Just really terrible.

2 comments:

SleepBoxSprings said...

I caught some of the game last night too and thought it looked strange. I'm not the baseball enthusiast that you are, but I have weird notions of American league teams also. Like the Bluejays...and I remembered the time we saw them play the Angels. Why did we go to that game? Haha.

Daniel said...

Dude! the Blue Jays are a great example of what I mean. Like, how weird that the Blue Jays even exist right?
BTW, I'm pretty sure we went to that game because Dad got tickets from our neighbor, Jeff. It's a pretty hilarious idea, though.