Wednesday, April 21, 2010

What's wrong with Bills?

Chad Billingsley has not pitched that well so far this season. I don't think he's been quite as awful as some would say, but still, it is not what we need from a guy who just last summer was considered to be the NL starter in the All-Star game.

So what's wrong?

Memories of Kevin Malone has a really interesting (though technical) analysis. Most bizarre, I think, is how his pitch selection has changed over the years. As you can see (below) there has been a serious drop-off in his use of four-seam fastballs in favor of using a cutter or a slider nearly 50% of the time. Historically, he succeeded using these two pitches to vary from his highly effective four-seamer. Why is he doing this? I don't know, but I hope someone shows Joe Torre this chart and quick!



1 comment:

Dan said...

Daniel, Were you pleased with Bills this past weekend? I thought he kept the ball down and located his corners much better. It reminded me of what made him great so young. Well, here's hoping it is going to last!